Wednesday, April 23, 2008

It's the small things that piss me off.

So I've embarked on learning Django. Again. But this time with gusto.

However, just like any other language, it's the small things that trip you up.

I spent a decent portion of today trying to figure out why I could not get Django to talk with a DBMs of some sort. First up was SQL Server.

The Django Book appears to indicate you can use ado_mssql. But after numerous trips in Chapter 5, particularly with the following:

>>> from django.db import connection
>>> cursor = connection.cursor()


I kept getting getting an error message. Best I could tell, the SQL Server part isn't really supported yet. But I could be wrong.

Then I decided to move on to MySQL, considering that's what everyone is using anyhoo. I could absolutely not get a connection. I was trying to use a MySQL install on my A Small Orange account...But no luck. I couldn't figure out the problem --- I checked my settings over and over, even e-mailed tech support.

Still no luck.

Best I can tell, it's because of Tribune's block of port 3306. Knowing we had an MySQL install here on one of our CAR boxes, I tried to get that working. That would seemingly show whether it was Tribune blocking the port or my idiocy.

So we'll try again tonight when I get home. But I've got my money on the port being blocked.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ryan,

Yeah, SQL Server is not officially supported in the development version, and even when it was supported it was never much compared to MySQL, Postgres or SQLite. And port blocking is a common corporate thing, but you can be sure that ports can be unblocked. I'd see if you can't find a sympathetic IT person.

Derek

Unknown said...

Alternate, external SQL Server backends that are probably still more trouble than getting MySQL running:
http://code.google.com/p/django-mssql/
http://code.google.com/p/django-pyodbc/