Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Well, here we go again....

I like to think I'd gotten to know Oklahoma's Open Records Act pretty thoroughly.

Now it's time to start all over.

Since I moved to South Florida, I haven't had time to dive into the state's fairly broad sunshine laws. Sitting on my desk is the pretty hefty --- and I must say kick ass --- Florida Public Records Handbook.

It's tough starting over in a new state when it comes to sunshine laws. When you've been somewhere for a while, you get used to the lame excuses and how to maneuver around them.

About a week ago, I had my first negotiation for some electronic records in Florida. I usually play dumb in a first conversation, letting them explain themselves and then I take some time to craft up a response.

I figure it's also useful to play dumb early because you can give them enough rope with which to hang them. But, in this instance, I also needed some time to go back and do some reading.

So here goes...

No comments: